Objectives of ISLE
- Promoting the art, science and practice of illumination engineering services as associated with built and open environment for the benefit of the public in general.
- Advancing education and research in illumination engineering and publishing useful results of this research.
- Formulating lighting codes, guides and technical reports and publishing them along with newsletters, journals and books on "illumination".
- Maintaining liaison and technical interaction with national/international organisations concerned with matters related to the science, technology, standardisation and art in the fields of light and lighting.
- Co-operation with the Bureau of Indian Standards in their standardisation work in the field of lighting.
- Providing guidance to young engineers for career improvement in illumination engineering.
- Organizing exhibitions and trade fairs of lighting and allied industries.